Candle care guide

 To help you get the most out of every light, we've put together a guideline to properly care for your candles while also maintaining important safety measures. 


1. First Burn

Getting the first burn right with your candle is key—it sets the "memory" of the wax, ensuring an even burn throughout its life. If the candle is not burned properly for the first time, it will start to 'tunnel' for the rest of its life which is where only the centre melts, leaving unused wax along the sides. To prevent this, ensure you let the wax melt all the way to the edge of the vessel to get an even melt and to imprint the candle memory. Think of it as laying a good foundation for all the burns to come, maximising your candle's glow and aroma without any waste.

2. Trimming the wick

Always give your candle wick a little trim before lighting it—trimming it down to about 3-5mm helps keep the flame at its best. This small step prevents any unwanted black smoke and ensures your candle burns evenly and brightly, just as it should.

If your wick is too long, it will cause soothing and over-burning of the wax (causing the candle to burn at a faster rate). If your flame is dancing vigorously while having constant black smoke, this is a sign that your wick is too long and needs trimming. The easiest way to trim your wick is by pinching off the top burnt bits with your fingers. You should regularly trim the wicks of your candles to ensure a crisp burn. 

If your wick is too short, the wax around the wood drowns out the flame. If this happens, simply use a napkin to soak up the melted wax and you will see the flame growing stronger. If your candle is not lighting at all, scrape off some of the wax around the wood and light it again.


3. General / Safety tips

  • Do not burn your candle for longer than 4 hours at a time and stop burning when there is 1.5cm of wax remaining. This prevents the jar from overheating! 

  • Keep your candle free of all foreign objects to prevent fire hazards.

  • Light your candle in a well-ventilated room, away from drafts or fans as this can cause sooting.

  • Never leave unattended and keep away from children and pets. Place candles on a heat resistant surface.

  • Always store your candle in a cool dry place and away from direct sunlight.

  • Be cautious when extinguishing the flame - use a candle snuffer to prevent splashing of the wax.

  • Allow the jar and wax to cool completely before touching or moving.



Please reuse your vessel and send us pictures! We love to see how creative you are.

Back to blog